Pages

21 March 2012

Pinteresting Follow Up

I knew it! I knew that organizations would find a way to use pinterest to their benefit. My alma matter, Biola University, has a pinterest account. I was quite proud when I saw the link on twitter last week. So I clicked on it and it is brilliant. One thing that Biola does really well is utilize cutting edge social media to their benefit. While most universities or organizations that large are slow moving about new media tools, Biola is not. They have a pinterest account that utilizes it in a different way than the average user. They have a board designated for the tour of the campus. One for where notable alumni are in life right now (slightly ofended that I am not on that board! ha!). One for local restaurants near the school, another for local attractions. Can I just say that this is a really good idea. Way to go Biola.

Then the next day I saw Oxfam America did the same thing. They have a pinterest account. This one is to highlight their own work around the world. Brilliant. I already know friends who are using it to advertise their photography business, etc.

So I like this idea up until it just becomes an electronic advertising board. I like that I can follow Biola and Oxfam and at the same time find instructions for a diy. The minute pinterest becomes only an advertising board for companies, universities, or organizations then I'm out. Hopefully pinterest can be balanced between organizations displaying their work, bloggers showcasing their latest invention, and normal people like me storing the ideas I see around the internet.

If you want to check out Biola's pinterest account you can find them here: Biola's Pinterest Account

No comments:

Post a Comment