Pages

24 April 2012

What can I do?


What can I do? What can you do? The comment I received from my last post was really, really good. So basically, I took from her comment a few things. Often as Americans we are told to just throw money at a problem in order to solve it. That the church in the United States tells us that we must share God's love to the world through our actions, which then means donating money to the church. Invisible Children is giving the general population a different option than just giving money.

The Kony2012 videos give an easy way for the average person to feel part of doing something. Calling up our congressmen and telling them to solve this problem, the problem of the LRA in central Africa. Just so that I am clear, I think Kony and the LRA are people who have committed evil atrocities against humanity and they should be punished for their actions. I have simply been asking, if it is always the job of Americans to fight the bad guy when there are thousands of people in the countries the LRA operate that know the situation better than we do. (You can read my first post here and my second post here)
So the question is, what can we do? What can the average outsider, American, Brit, etc. do when we hear about these terrible things going on in the world? What can one person do to make a difference? My response is based upon how involved you want to be.

1. Donate Money. I know, I know- you want other ideas. But this is the first layer of involvement. You hear about a need, you want to be minimally involved (unless you are Bill Gates) and you donate money to a reputable organization. Donating money to an organization is helpful- even the $20 a month donation. My friend Rachel who has worked in the Horn of Africa just blogged about this: which you can find here. You will eventually become bombarded with needs and organizations requesting donations. Which leads me to point two.

2. Find a problem, issue, country, people group, topic and stick with it. Learn everything you can about the topic. Be a walking advocate about the issue. Know the facts, know the problems, know the complexities of the issues. You can be more effective in solving a problem, if you become focused. Essentially, it becomes your "hobby" so to speak. When you get together with friends, they ask you how you are doing, what you are doing, etc. This is the avenue to start sharing about the issue you care most about. There is a fine line between being obnoxious with friends and family, and simply sharing with what you are most passionate about. In this research, you know which organizations are work hands-on to adress the problems. Then you can be an informed donor and confident that your money is going to a good place.

3. Do what Invisible Children does. Flood the mail box of your congressmen about your issue. If you know what is happening on the issue you are passionate about, then you know what is happening in politics and how it links. Why do you think we have American troops in Uganda? It is because enough people of the general public wanted them there and congress listened.

4. Find other people who are passionate about the same topic. Form a working group to share information, access resources, and creatively come up with ways to be part of solving a problem. Bring in guest speakers and experts.

5. Find a local problem and volunteer. The US has some major problems and sometimes it is easier to become involved in solving a local problem.

If we choose one topic we are passionate about and do everything we can to change the current situation (donations, volunteerism, government advocacy), then when we hear the million pleas for help we can confidently decline and focus our energy on the topic we are passionate about and know that change can come about as a result of it. We can not solve every single problem or we will be pulled in so many directions, but we can focus on one thing and hopefully see change. Invisible Children chose the LRA. What will you choose?

2 comments:

  1. Great ideas! Thanks! I totally agree that we can be more effective if we focus our energies on one topic rather than briefly touching on a variety of topics. This is similar to the depth vs. breadth issue in education. In this technology-driven age, it seems inevitable that the world grows smaller and smaller. That can be a good thing and a bad. On the one hand, it can make people feel that they have a right to interfere with the way other countries do things (sounds too similar to imperialism for my tastes). On the other hand, it can bring awareness about heinous crimes that are occurring in other parts of the world that might otherwise go unchallenged. I know that some may ask, "But where do we draw the line?" or even "What gives you the right to decide what is heinous and what is not?" That argument is a completely different topic, but for the purposes of this post, suffice it to say that I believe that there are universal truths, there are things that are wrong no matter what (ex: rape, I will never think that rape is okay. If this makes me close-minded, so be it). With that said, as the technology makes the world smaller, bringing global issues into my home through the internet, it is challenging to learn about certain atrocities and just go about your business as normal. This is hard for me. Yes I may suffer from the I-want-to-fix-everything disease, but it is this disease that also compels me to learn about other cultures and respect our differences. However, when I see suffering, it is too hard to ignore. I suppose I need to find a balance between over-committing myself, and being content to remain ignorant. I suspect I am not alone in this challenge. Thanks for the tips, they are helpful, and to them I might also add: 6. Allow myself and challenge myself to remain committed to being accurately informed rather than swayed by persuasive tactics so the truth will spread further and empower the light of love to reach out and restore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I think that being aware of the news is important and then focusing on one thing is effective. It is hard to balance and I struggle with it myself. And honestly, I think I have come to a place where I struggle to not have a hard heart. No longer does my heart break and this makes me sad. Even though it is probably a coping mechanism. I aslo really like your No.6.

    At the same time, we have to realize that we can not fix everything. We will never live in a perfect world and as hard as we try, there will always be sin, always a bad guy, and always crazy governments, politics, and economic policies.

    ReplyDelete