Pages

26 March 2012

Lost in this never-ending void

I feel lost in this never ending void. Life is happening around me. People are working, children are attending school, house wives are driving their mini vans to PTA meetings, and husbands are driving their sedans to the office. Ants moving up and down, all around. Yet I have stopped. For the first time in my life I have stepped outside the pre-ascribed life path that was predestined for my life, my culture, my age group, my gender. Stopped. The funny thing is, I did not intentionally stop. It is almost as if God pulled me out. Said, no- you need to stop this never-ending pre-ascribed cultural process. Stopped. In desperation to get back in, I have applied to hundreds of jobs, spoken to hundreds of people, have about fifty versions of my resume, eaten too much dark chocolate, and still I am stopped.

A professor wants me to come and speak to her undergraduate International Development 101 class in a few weeks. What do I say? This class will be filled with idealistic college students who have inevitably jumped on the Kony2012 bandwagon and are eager to change the world. They are culturally Southern California, which is fine and good but the reality is that if they want a job in the aid industry they will have to make the inevitable move to the east coast. If their class is any like my graduating class, a handful will make the jump east, a few will be living out of the country, and most will stay in California and will either return to school for a different degree, struggle to maintain a job in the small nonprofit sector of SoCal, or get married and be a housewife. All options are fine and good but none of them are saving the world. I don't want to sound negative but today in the middle of my never-ending void and removal of all normal life paths, I am feeling a bit pessimistic. Wondering what the heck I am doing, what advice I will give these college students, and how in the world I am going to get back to this treadmill of life- because right now, it feels like a never-ending void of unemployment is what awaits me.

No comments:

Post a Comment