Pages

03 September 2010

Firsts

This week has been filled with firsts and also subtle reminders of why I love East Africa. Uganda is similar to Kenya, which I believe is one reason why it has been somewhat easy to transition. Yet, I am still waiting for the moment where I just completely break down into culture shock. So far, so good though!

On to the firsts. I rode my first boda-boda this week. For those of you who don't know, boda-bodas are motorcycles you hire. They are everywhere in Uganda! You flag a man down, hop on the back of his boda and he will take you wherever you want to go (for a small fee of course). Thankfully Lori, my supervisor, started me on a small route from our home into town. After my first ride, I got off and was shaking. Mind you, this was my first time on a motorcycle ever! With my practicality constantly in my head, I have always thought of them as one of the most dangerous modes of transportation and therefore have avoided them like the plague. I will apologize now for those who read this and absolutely love motorcycles. Now that taking a boda is a practical mode of transportation, I think I will grow to enjoy it. The next thing I conquered with bodas this week was to ride side-saddle. What is a woman to do when she is wearing a skirt and has to ride a boda?

I also met two of the three organizations I will predominately work with. Both are a little out of town in nearby villages. Both I am excited to work with for varying reasons. More to come on these I am sure. For now, lets just say that I am incredibly honored to be part of their work. One thing I quickly realized during these visits is that I need to learn some of the language. While English is commonly spoken, not everyone has a strong command of my language. Hopefully language lessons will start in the next few weeks. I'm still debating if I will just take lessons to learn the basics or move beyond that. Any suggestions?

Besides meeting the organizations, taking bodas and getting a feel of the town, I have also immersed myself in Ugandan curriculum for grades one through four. I've read a fair amount, asked questions, and am ready to dive in with the teachers and students. To give some background, Uganda has a new curriculum which is focused more on problem-solving and creative thinking that the rote method of teaching. I am working with a few schools to help them transition to this new style of teaching.

Well, off to make dinner with Lori and most likely watch a bit of the t.v. show Chuck.

Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. EMILY!!! Your time so far sounds exciting and adventurous. I enjoyed hearing about your motorcycle experience. I actually refuse to take them here, which might surprise you--haha! Anyways, it sounds like from the time you left home to now, you have been meeting wonderful people. I look forward to reading more about your experience! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learn the language as mucha s you can, friend!!! It is awesome to communicate with other cultures and understand them better...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn!!!! Don't worry, boda riding will not happen in any major city (Kampala, Dar, or Nairobi). It does kinda surprise me that you refuse to take them. But then again, you are the trained expert on motorcycles and I am not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Em, I love that your first time on a motorcycle was a boda boda...that just fits you :) That school stuff sounds interesting. My prof that I still keep in touch with (the ed one that scuba dives) is in Africa right now in Burundi and is then headed to Uganda cause some high up dude asked him to come be a part of the ed reform there...all sounds pretty cool. Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete