Pages

10 March 2012

Kony 2012

This past week, Invisible Children's (IC) new video went viral. I watched it, followed a bit on twitter, and read a few blog posts and news articles. I originally did not want to post about the Kony2012 campaign. Mostly, because I have never been to Gulu so I feel inadequate to give you my assessment. That being said, it seems like everyone has an opinion on the topic and the lack of experience in Gulu doesn't hold anyone else back. Given that I have lived in Uganda and have been to northern Uganda (just not Gulu town), I feel like I should at least give you my opinion. So here it is.

First, if you have not seen the video, you can find it here: Invisible Children (IC). You should watch it. Now on to my opinion.

Joseph Kony is an evil man who has abducted children and used them for his benefit. He is the head of the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA). For lack of a better, more concise overview, I am going to refer you to wikipedia's article here. With the LRA, Kony has destroyed countless communities and lives in northern Uganda. He is currently wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) for crimes against humanity and war crimes. If you click on the link, you will notice he is not the only one from the LRA that is wanted.

Which leads me to my first question, why does Invisible Children only name him in their video? I really have no idea. Except that it is easier to have a Kony 2012 campaign than a Kony/Otti/Odhiambo/Ognwen 2012 Campaign. Right? Not to mention that some of those names are kinda hard to pronounce by English speakers. And I digress.

So we have this man and his army who have done terrible things to the country. I can personally attest to the atrocities since I have friends who have been effected by the LRA. However, the worst of the LRA's destruction pretty much ended in 2005. Northern Uganda is rebuilding, healing, and moving forward. Which leads me to my next question, why is Invisible Children focusing on a war that has mostly fizzled out? On something that, yes, has destroyed the country, but is not at all the worst of the country's problems at the moment.

Perhaps I should list some of those problems out for you:
1. Lack of good health care and also a plethora of diseases such as: the Mysterious Nodding Disease, malaria, and HIV/AIDS.

2.Economic inflation. Some of my friends who still live in Uganda have shared with me that inflation has increased by 25% in the last year. This article,which you can find here, outlines the inflation rate in the past year. Thankfully, it is slowly coming down.

3. Insufficient electricity. My dear friend helps fund a hospital in Uganda, and because of the lack of electricity, she reports that more than 100 people have died because they were unable to run the necessary equipment to help them stay alive. This is an extreme example of lack of electricity. It also inhibits businesses. Imagine if the electricity didn't work in your office for an entire week with absolutely nothing to be done about it.

4. The Karamojong people. Google it.

5. Finally, I am going to mention politics. It is my opinion that with sending US troops to Uganda to help eliminate Kony, you are also strengthening Museveni, his army, and his power within the country. For better or worse. President Museveni has been in power 26 years and will be for a total of 30 until the next election comes around. Museveni has advanced the country a great deal since the Idi Amin regime. However, there are also some things to question about him as well: Google "Museveni Crackdown" if you would like to learn more about him.

So why is the IC so determined to catch Kony when his capture, while surely significant, is not a huge development issue within the country currently? My list of five are only five, there are so many other things to be addressed as well! Perhaps it is because Jason Russell (founder of Invisible Children) and his co-founders made a promise to a boy in northern Uganda- to do everything they could to end the war. This is a noble promise and one that they have worked hard to achieve. However, is this the only reason why someone continues to promote this agenda? My other thoughts are negative. Again, I am hesitant to say them. Mostly because I have had friends who have worked for Invisible Children, of which none of them do now. Another reason why IC made the film was promotional for themselves. They will get a lot of money from this campaign. It will help drive their organization forward, rally a group of people in the US- and all over the world- to one single cause: capture the bad guy.

Some of you might question my thought about money. International Development is an industry. It finds causes, markets them, and gets money to help solve problems. However, these problems are so complex that is it very difficult to solve them by eliminating one person, or sending food to a group of people, or giving a box of toys to children who have very little. Humans are complex. Ugandan people are complex. The politics of Uganda and central Africa are complex. Eliminating one man from the mix of complexities will not solve everyone's problems. It will complete Invisible Children's mission, it will make American college students feel like they have done something, but it will not solve Uganda's problems. Only Ugandans can solve its problems. They can solicit the help of others, other aid organizations, churches, international politics, countries, and the UN for help- but it comes down to the fact that Ugandans must solve their own problems. They know the situation better than anyone else. They know the needs better than anyone else.

So are we, as US citizens, as global citizens, listening to their needs? Their desires to change their lives? Or are we following a bunch of wealthy southern California guys in fighting the big bad Kony? I would rather listen to Ugandans tell me what they need than listen to Invisible Children tell me what Ugandans need. What about you?


2 comments: