Pages

27 February 2012

A ship destroys the internet

Once upon a time, internet providers in East Africa decided to make their internet faster. To American standards, that ment moving from dial up speed to slow cable speeds. They decided to build a fibre optics station in the bottom of the sea. Surely, no one would ignore the restricted space that flagged this area. So they built fast internet, charged expats a fortune, and locals the inability to experience the fast internet. And so it was.

Then one day a ship was unable to access the port it wished to dock. So it decided to anchor outside the port. Restricted access? Surely it does not mean us. So they anchored. And destroyed the high-speed internet's fibre optics. Down went the high speed interent for multiple countries. Down went fast internet, work ability and the such. But this is Africa, and life continues whether or not the foreigners are able to access the high speed internet.

I laughed when I read this news article about a ship's anchor destroying a fibre optics line for high-speed internet off the coast of East Africa. If I was in East Africa, I would be furious. Since I am not, I can only laugh and think, "only in Africa would the internet be destroyed by a ship".

If you want the full story, you can check it out here: on the BBC website.

I had horrible experiences with internet, paying for internet, only for the record of my payment gone, etc. So this is story is just so typical with the woes of internet and East Africa. For my friends experiencing abnormally slow internet speeds, I am sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment