Pages

19 February 2011

State Side

So I am back in the states. I cried as the wheels lifted from the tarmac in Entebbe. Uganda is a home and I'm not sure when I will return. However, I will tell you that I will return someday.

The people at the airport in Entebbe refused to check my bags all the way through. Which meant that I ensured their safe arrival by checking my bags in every time I got to an airport. This lead me to have to go through the London customs to retrieve my bags which lead me to miss my flight! Not to worry, I was put on the next flight and I was fine. Besides that, my flights were normal and somehow went very quickly.

Re-entry is a bit different this time.

I made dinner last night and you know what I made? Beans and rice. As I was chopping the onion and garlic I realized that everything going into my meal I could get in Uganda. It was at this point that I realized I might be missing my life there a bit more than I knew. Did I really just sub-consciously make a meal that I could and did eat on a regular basis in Uganda? Uhm, yup- I did.


Besides that- the normal re-entry of being a bit overwhelmed with the amount of choice Americans have (I mean- how many types of cereal do you need!?) and the gluttony of my culture. Yet I am enjoying it too! Real cheese, clean roads, a car (!), fast internet- all things that I didn't get in Uganda.

I've decided to keep up the blog. So keep following if you wish. The next three months will be full of a few domestic trips (Florida and Boston) while I also work hard on my paper. Should be an interesting season of life but I am looking forward to it.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I have enjoyed following on your journey. If you are ever in SoCal and want some rice and beans, you can come to us, cuz that is pretty much our menu every day :) Kinda Brazilian. Mostly necessity :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah thanks Sus! I will let you know when I get back to California and I will totally enjoy some rice and beans brazilian style with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you've been eating some raspberries!!!

    ReplyDelete