Pages

01 October 2010

Settling-in: Uganda is becoming another home.

This past week I feel like I have entered another stage of settling in. Everything is no longer new and exciting, a routine has begun to shift into place. It is good, I feel like life in Uganda is becoming normal.

Last week we went to Kampala, the capital of Uganda, to run a few errands. We took a coaster, which is a bus that seats four people across, with no aisle, totaling 25-30 people. The bus ride went quickly since I have been introduced to the joy of podcasts (so far, my favorites include: Stuff You Missed in History Class and Stuff You Should Know). We arrived in Kampala and strange memories of Nairobi mixed with London came back. Kampala is Uganda's version of New York City. In essence, it is a crazy mash of people, cars, places, and advertisements. Everyone is in a rush and has something to accomplish or do.

In Kampala, there are grocery stores that are similar to Target. Huge, overwhelming, and basically has everything a Westerner could ever want. We stopped to pick up inexpensive chocolate, duck tape (to fix my slippers the dog has torn apart), and some dog bones. In order to enter the store, you have to go through security- a metal detector wand and a bag search- which never happens in my town. However, it made me feel a bit safe- especially since there were bombings a few months ago in Kampala that targeted Westerner hang outs.

We had a few other stops (Ministry of Internal Affairs and the US Embassy) but I will spare you the boring details. From the embassy we walked about a kilometer down the road to the nicest hotel/restaurant I have seen in Uganda yet. We ate lunch (fabulous burgers!), sat on the veranda, purchased real cheese, and beautiful European pastries (tiramisu, berry tart, and mini-cherry pie) and visited with my friend, Rachel, who I met in London. It was refreshing to have an afternoon hanging out with Americans. Hearing about their work, their impressions of Uganda, etc. I feel like this visit to a western compound was just what I needed. Thankfully Rachel and her group of friends offered us a ride to where our coaster (think large mini-bus) was waiting. It began to down pour rain and their lift saved us significant time! Kampala is prone to flooding, and within ten minutes of heavy rain, the streets were already flooded!



Picture of yummy cheese and a village scone (aka roll).


The ride back was uneventful with the exception of the driver getting a speeding ticket, the man infront of me sharing his opinion on Ugandan politics, and the small girl we passed by who had been hit by a car. It was incredibly hard to see the Aunties running towards the scene, screaming, while the mother was wailing over her daughter's body. Unfortunately, her death is all-too common as the roads are not safe for pedestrians and especially children can be easily hit.

A few other big things happened this past week! I purchased a mini-modem that has fast internet. After a month of slow internet, I broke down and upgraded. This will allow me to skype with family/friends and download articles I need for my research. I also had a tailor make me two new skirts. I wear skirts on a very regular basis for work and having a few more are really nice! One is simple black but the other is an African print.

In addition, I have become better friends with the lizzard/gecko that lives in my room. I named him Fred and have told him to stay on the curtains/walls if he wants to survive the next six months in my room. I like to keep him around, though, since he eats the mosquitos!


I apologize if this post is a bit boring. Yet, last week marked a point where Uganda is becoming a home and the simple, mundane things like going to the capital and buying new skirts, were the highlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment