Pages

03 March 2012

Pinterest

I have a pinterest account. Doesn't everyone? I like it. I like putting things I find online in one place. It is nice, easy, convenient, and the new google.

I also find myself feeling like I live in a idealist world when I am on pinterest. Does everyone's kitchen really look like that? Because mine sure does not! Does everyone have the picture perfect kids? Does everyone have the dream wedding and fall in love for the rest of their lives? I made this recipe and it, well, didn't look like the picture or taste the way they told me it would. But I will repin, because that is what we do now. We pin and repin and drool over opulent stuff.

Then there are other times when I feel amazing. I have one pin that has been repined nearly 3,000 times. That is almost 3,000 people in the world seeing this picture and putting it on their board. And then, because of this one pin, other people- that I don't even know!- started following me on pinterest. Talk about a self esteem booster, right? Right... because my value and worth now hinges on the fact that 2,899 strangers repined a pin.

Then I think of my time living in a developing country and cringe. Cringe because we waste time and energy and money on stuff. But then I don't want to sound or think like a communist, so I don't say it. But maybe I should. We do not need the dream kitchen, wedding, husband, kid, outfit, hair, body, menu, birthday party, and garden to be happy. Don't you know there are starving children in the world? *Gulp* Because lets be honest, I did excited when 3,000 people repind my pin. I did get happy when I found an amazing recipe. I. get. sucked. in.

Oh my countrymen, what will it take to wake up and realize that we already live in a dream world for the majority of the world? We have luxury that only people can dream about and it is not good enough for us. Will it ever be good enough?

4 comments:

  1. AMEN!!! Though, I think pinterest appeals to our desire for beauty and art that we can access (I can't afford fine art, but I can make that cool thing). Still, you are so right! Out of sight, out of mind-we are consumed by our present realities rather than placing them in perspective. But then I wonder if that is always the case for humanity no matter where or what our situation. We are not naturally the type to think about the forrest, but rather dwell on the trees...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Sus!!! Thanks for the comment. :) I think you are right, we as humans always want more no matter what our situation is. I can see you getting totally into the craft section on pinterest! I ( yes I) even made a craft I found on pinterest!! So it is good that I am able to expand my horizons on all things crafty, but really- I can easily get sucked into the negative aspects of pinterest as well. Balance. I need to use pinterest with balance and perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Balance. Why is that always so hard to acheive?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always so hard. Maybe because we are designed to be consumed with God but in this fallen world must figure out how to balance all our distractions.

    ReplyDelete